1 of 24
Teiki Ballian getting a good visual of the boat at a Mentawai secret spot.© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Rob Allen and Josh Eder having a good chinwag.© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Jamie Calderon at Lances Left.© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Josh Snaider at Thunders© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Max Eder at Thunders© 2014 Liquid Barrel
The fertile production line of Indian Ocean swell has been in high gear.© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Seth Alderton at Roxys© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Max Eder the pied piper of fish© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Josh Snaider somewhere secret.© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Locals rule at HTs© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Teiki Ballian at Lances Left© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Jamie Calderon somewhere quiet© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Taking the high road at HTs© 2014 Liquid Barrel
You would, wouldn't you?© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Max Eder with a moment to reflect before the inevitable© 2014 Liquid Barrel
When the swell is up the options increase exponentially.© 2014 Liquid Barrel
Josh Lorey© 2014 Liquid Barrel
A happy crew with no one aboard who snores like a pig scores more barrels. Fact.© 2014 Liquid Barrel
The Mentawai Islands are the penthouse of wave porn and the surf has been pumping. Here are some shots from a trip last week which lucked into a little magic. Every surfer should go there at least once, if you are lucky then you will score more barrels than you have done in the last decade. In the meantime, here’s some eye candy from Liquid Barrel’s busman’s holiday.
5 facts about boat trips you probably already know:
1. More than one person will fail to pack adequate wax or sun protection. Their popularity will decline proportional to supply.
2. Someone will snore like a pig and you will mentally eviscerate them for ruining your sleep, before launching anything at hand across the cabin. We recommend ear plugs as a friendship saver.
3. The food can be mind-meltingly good (if you don’t like sashimi or poisson cru your world is a lesser place) and the crew will slave to feed your pampered arse up to six times a day whilst you shuffle down the reef like The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.
4. Nothing feels better than drinking cheap lager whilst telling heroic war stores around the table; the fact that tales grow ever taller in the telling comes as standard.
5. 10 days on a snug boat with anyone is a long time.
Surfing Essentials brings you a hodge podge of stuff we find invaluable.
Sit back and appreciate Mr. Tudor's chiseled technique he brings to small wave logging
When the call to stick it out and wait for swell pays off