BREAKING: Surfer Seriously Injured in Hawaii Shark Attack

Jason Lock

by on

Updated 385d ago

***WARNING: This article contains graphic images***

A woman has been attacked by a shark while surfing near Laniakea, on the North Shore of Oahu.

Marjorie Mariano, local to Oahu, had been surfing around 6pm on New Year's Eve when she was hit by a shark, thought to be a tiger around 10-11 feet long.

The shark bit into Marjorie's left thigh and began to shake her. As she realised what was happening, Marjorie kicked the shark and confronted it, before it released her and Marjorie managed to paddle away while calling for help.

Two surfers rushed to help her and used a leash as a tourniquet, Marjorie was going into shock and was taken to Queen's Hospital in Oahu. A major artery had been lacerated and without the tourniquet, Marjorie would have bled to death.

A fundraising campaign has since been launched to help Marjorie foot the medical bills. But speaking about the incident to MSW, Ricardo Taveira from Hawaii Eco Divers, said: “Before the attack happened and the day was ending, Marjorie decided to paddle back to the beach.  As she was approaching the inside, she felt a bite on her left thigh and knee.  The bottom part of the shark's jaws were beneath her surf board, and the upper jaws were on top of her leg. 

“As she realised she was bit, she started to pull her leg out of the shark's mouth and kick the shark with her other leg as the shark was shaking her.  As she was fighting the shark, she could see most of its head, eyes, and body out of the water.  She vividly remembers the full moon glaring on the shark's skin.

The wound, with leash/tourniquet still applied.

The wound, with leash/tourniquet still applied.

“When the shark let her go, her first reaction was to face the animal and confront it in order for it to leave her alone.  Soon after, the shark turned around and left.  She then started yelling and asking for help.

“Luckily, there were still two other surfers surfing nearby.  By the time they got close to her, she was already in shock and paddling as fast as possible to get out of the water.  She thought the shark would come back for her since she was bleeding a lot.

“When the two surfers got close to her and saw the injury, immediately one man removed his own leash and applied a tourniquet to stop the bleeding.  She was very fortunate to have had the surfers apply the tourniquet in the water, and for them to have also applied pressure on the wound on the beach until emergency care arrived.

“Marjorie was taken to Queens Hospital in Honolulu, where she underwent surgery.  She received more than 100 stitches on her thigh and behind her knee.  She had a major artery lacerated and could have bled to death.

“At this moment, she remains at Queen's Hospital and is very optimistic about her recovery, even though it may take weeks for her to walk again.  One thing she is already sure about is that this experience will not stop her from surfing again.”

To help Marjorie's cause, go HERE.