REVEALED: Olympic Surfing Is Still On, Take a First Look at the Competition Site

Jason Lock

by on

Updated 12d ago

Despite ongoing anti-coronavirus measures across the globe, the Olympics are still slated to go ahead with construction continuing on the surfing site at Shidashita beach.

"Until now there is no case of coronvirus in the city of Ichinomiya or in the cities near to Ichinomiya where the surf event is going to happen,” said Pedro Gomes, a Brazilian photographer who now lives in Japan.

OLYMPIC FORECAST: HERE

And would ya look at that?! This is from March 10, Keito Matsukoa eyes up this gem.

And would ya look at that?! This is from March 10, Keito Matsukoa eyes up this gem.

© 2020 - Pedro Gomes

“You can see a few people using masks on the beach, but it's springtime here and many people use the masks for the pollen allergy Japan at this time of the year.”

And take a peek at Pedro's snaps throughout, the frame work for the Olympic site is well under way, with no plans to slow down construction. Also, you can see locals enjoying a recent swell pulse that ripped into the coastline.

Earlier this week, France, Germany Portugal and Spain went into lock down, following Italy's example and residents of the UK were told to keep social distancing in mind.

Top down view of the facilities under construction that'll house Olympic athletes.

Top down view of the facilities under construction that'll house Olympic athletes.

© 2020 - Pedro Gomes

Uzawa Kiyohisa, local surfer and member of the city council added: "We are concerned about the virus issue but at the same time, we are very confident about the success of the event.
“Outdoors is not considered areas of risk and this region has no case yet of infection. The IOC has been confirming the Olympics for the expected dates so we keep optimist for the event working in all preparations to the event following the original schedule plan.”

A lot of public events across the world have been cancelled in a bid to stem the spreading of coronavirus and to protect those most at risk. In a statement yesterday, via the Olympic website, the International Olympic Committee said: “The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and with more than four months to go before the Games there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage; and any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive.

Masks are a common sight anyway this time of year, given the pollen.

Masks are a common sight anyway this time of year, given the pollen.

© 2020 - Pedro Gomes

“The IOC encourages all athletes to continue to prepare for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 as best they can. We will keep supporting the athletes by consulting with them and their respective NOCs, and by providing them with the latest information and developments, which are accessible for athletes worldwide on the Athlete365 website and via their respective NOCs and IFs.

“The IOC will continue to monitor the situation 24/7. Already in mid-February, a task force was set up consisting of the IOC, the World Health Organization (WHO), the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, the Japanese authorities and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.”

They said a number of measures are in place to run the Olympics: “The format of all the test events in March and April has been altered to allow for the testing of essential Games elements; the lighting of the Olympic torch in Greece and subsequent elements of the Torch Relay in Japan are being adapted; the entire Games preparation supply chain has been analysed; and alternative plans are in place in the event of anticipated disruption.”

© 2020 - Pedro Gomes

© 2020 - Pedro Gomes

© 2020 - Pedro Gomes

A version of this article first appeared on Surfline.